Tuesday, November 12, 2013

November 4, 2013


Dear Family and Friends,

How is everyone doing? I can’t believe it is already November! it is funny because I keep thinking "oh winter is coming".. but it is only getting hotter! So strange for me! This week was great! we had another baptism and it was so special. We have been baptizing every week and each baptism is so special. Last week we baptized two young boys and this week was Gustavo (15 years old) and next week we are baptizing a family!! This work is moving forward and we are working very hard to bring the wonderful happiness of the gospel to the people of Capanema.

I wanted to share two experiences this week. 

1) funny/ horrible experience 

Tuesday after a long day we returned to our house only to find we were without power. We have had problems with our electricity bills and the landlord didn’t resolve the problem. Just imagine entering a house that is about 85 degrees without a slight breeze. Our house is next to a canal that smells terrible (and tons of mosquitos) so we cannot open the windows. We usually sleep with a fan blowing but without electricity we had the honor of sleeping in the heat. I took a shower in the dark (terrified that a frog or spider was in the bathroom with me). We, four sisters, slept in the same room with the window and door closed. The sister from Chile slept under my mosquito net with me haha... just imagine. However, let’s make this a learning opportunity... Pay your electric bill! Ok ok.... This experience can be compared to our light or testimony. When we do not pay the bill or nourish our testimony, the light burns out. Then you have to work, call, and pay the bill to have the lights turned back on. Just like our testimony. We have to study, pray, and ask for forgiveness and then pay the bill. ACT! I testify that it is never too late to pay the bill and recharge your light! 

 

2) In my family we always talk about "pay days! Moments in life when all our hard work pays off. I had a wonderful "pay day" moment this week. We have been doing divisions (switching companions for 3 days). A new sister from Kentucky (3 weeks in Brazil) was here in Capanema and my Companion was in another city. On Saturday, she taught with me. I prayed so hard that everyone would understand my Portuguese and everything would flow smoothly. We taught and prepared young Gustavo for his baptism. He understood everything and was so excited for his baptism. This moments was a huge "pay day" for me. After almost 5 months studying and workig so hard, and feeling like I would never speak fluent without an accent... I achieved my goal. Blessings always come after or trials. I love this scripture in the Book of Mormon. Alma 26:27 "Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold the Lord comforted us... Bear with patience thine afflictions and I will give unto you success" and also D&C 58:4 "For after much tribulation come the blessings" 

Be patient in moments of trial and difficulty. The Lord will give you success. I know this to be true. I have witnessed it here in my mission. My mission has been the most difficult yet rewarding time of my life. 

I love you all so much!

 

Love always,

Sister Sender 

No comments:

Post a Comment