Monday, October 7, 2013

September 23, 2013


Dear Family and Friends,

another wonderful week here in beautiful Brazil! The tan lines are starting to become quite amusing. ;) I was thinking about this last night... When I arrived in Brazil my skin was extremely white and everyone would stop and stare. I was fresh and new to the mission and country. As I have worked, learned, studied, and grown I have felt my heart change and my relationship with my Savior grow. My skin is a great reminder of this. I didn’t become tan overnight. The process was gradual and is still an ongoing process. It is the same with my progress as a missionary. I grow and change a little more every day. This applies to every aspect in life. We start something new and with time and experience we become better and learn more about our personal capabilities.

This week we had interviews with the mission president and his wife. President and Sister Scisci are wonderful! Sister Scisci shared a story that changed my perspective a lot...

She talked about a runner. His mom always attended his races, but never stood at the start or finish to cheer him on. Many people asked her why she didn’t cheer on her son. She responded, "many people stand at the beginning to cheer him on and it is very crowded. Many people also stand at the finish to congratulate him. I like to stand on a corner in the middle of the race... because in the moment when he is feeling tired, and is ready to quit, I am able to cheer him on and help him push through." It is the same in the mission. My family and friends cheered me on when I left to serve, and will embrace me when I return, but in those difficult times in the middle, I have my Savior to cheer me on. Weekly emails and letters help, but during a long hard day, I know my Savior is walking beside me.

I am so grateful for the words of encouragement I receive every week. I love my family so much and my love for them grows every day. Distance makes the heart grow fonder... this is so true. I love my mission and the opportunity I have to give a little bit of my time to God. I hope you all have a wonderful week!

Love Always,

Sister Sender

ps:

Cultural things:

1) eggs are stored at room temp (which is 85+)

2) Everyone cleans with powdered laundry soap and a broom. "mop" the floor and then squeggy the floor

3) We eat lots of fish, chicken, and "carne" (red meat). We eat the scales and all.... and shrimp tails :) yummy... (actually I really like it but have to be careful with food here I get sick a lot)

Love ya!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment