Thursday, September 12, 2013

September 2, 2013

Family and Friends!
I hope everyone is doing well and had a fantastic week! This week was the final week of my 1st transfer in Brazil. I am staying in Capanema with Sister De Lima and we are receiving two new sisters as well. (we are making room in our apt) We will be splitting the area and the goal is to create a district of sister missionaries with a sister district leader. The work is moving along :) I am excited for the changes, but also a little nervous. Change is good, but sometimes difficult at first. 

Cultural things
1) every meal we eat rice with spaggetti noodles and beans. usually white beans or black eyed peas... i think haha 
2) every house has a gate with a lock in front of the front door and then a second lock on the actual door. 
3)  We hug and kiss everyone here. People are very warm and friendly and very touchy feely. 

I feel like this week was centered on families. We have been teaching a lot of our investigators about eternal families and the importance of families. God gave us familie so that we can learn, grow and have joy in this life. At a family night this week with our investigators, a member asked me to share something about my dad that had helped my life. I told them that my dad joined the church when he was a teenager living with some members of the church. I told them that he worked really hard to provide himself with a good life and future. Because of this, i was able to have been raised in the church and taught the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I continued and said that my dad is the hardest working person I know. He taught me to always work with all of your heart in very aspect of life. This is my goal in my mission. To work with all of my heart. I am so grateful for my family. Serving a mission has made my love for them expand even more than words can express. I am grateful for their examples of self-less service and love and am so honored to be a "Sender"! 

I had another very humbling moment this week. I was having a bit of a difficult day yesterday and was thinking about myself (first problem). I was walking with my companion and saw a woman holding a baby. I told Sister De Lima that we should go talk to her. We stopped and talked to her. The baby was actually her ten year old daughter who has many health problems. She is ten years old, but has the body of a 3 year old. I could not help but smile at her, she was beautiful! We talked with this woman for awhile and set up a return appointment. Sister De Lima shook her hand and said goodbye and then I started to shake her hand as well. I felt a really strong impression to shake her little girls hand also. It was a life changing moment. The little girl lit up! Her smile was huge and her light was radiant. I smiled and told her that she is beautiful. Her mom had tears in her eyes and I felt an overwhelming love for this beautiful family. I know this is how our Savior feels about each of us. It is an extraordinary feeling of perfect love. As i walked away, I couldn't help but think "how can I be so selfish?" I am constantly wanting blessing and thinking about myself. She taught me something huge yesterday, Forget Myself! I have a normal body, I am able to feed myself, walk, talk and live normally. Even with hardships and moments of dificulty, life is beautiful. I saw this beauty in her face. When I took the time to recognize her and share a moment of love; heaven was near. 

I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and that as we strive to give Christ-like love and service we will feel the presence of Heaven in our lives. 

I love you all!

Love Always,
Sister Sender 

No comments:

Post a Comment