Wednesday, August 7, 2013

First 2 weeks in Brazil!!


2 weeks in the "missão de milagres" (mission of miracles)

I have never been more excited to email in my life! haha 2 weeks and only having 10 mins was tough.

I left the MTC for Brazil on the morning of July 23rd and arrived late afternoon July 24th. I traveled with one other sister and 2 elders but met another elder in Brazil. 3 of us continued on to Belem. we ate in the mission presidents house and then did some office work because they didn´t know i was coming until two days before I came. that even I was interviewed by my mission president and he gave me a blessing (in Portuguese). He doesn't speak much English so most of it I didn't understand. That evening I was given my 1st companion aka my trainer. Sister De Lima. She is wonderful!! (but doesn't speak English. We slept in the house of the president for two nights because of a Zone conference. I played the piano and was asked to share a brief message. so on day 2 of my mission I spoke to the entire mission. I talked about the power of faith and how faith and obedience bring miracles. (in Portuguese of course). Then the next day (July 26th) we started working in our new area Capanema, Castanhal. (3-4 hrs south of Belem) .The people are great and so loving. |These past 2 weeks have been the hardest 2 weeks of my entire life.90+ degrees and humid, walking all day everyday talking and teaching. Honestly that part is simple. The insects, heat, cold showers, no makeup, and new everything is simple. The language is frustrating. I have learned more patience in the last two weeks than ever before. I want to understand everyone and to communicate. I now know what it feels like to be a baby and not be able to communicate with the world you live in. I’m improving everyday, but it takes a ton of work. I know lots of people are praying for me. Thank you!

One miracle this week.... We were finishing a day and it was8pm. We were not sure what to do, so we decided to do contacts. (talk to random people).  we saw this woman and her 18 month old son and started talking to her. All of a sudden in started downpouring rain. I had brought my umbrella with me that morning because I had a little thought to bring it. We were able to share with her and chat about life and a little about the church. Then we walked her to her home and she invited us in. We talked about the plan of salvation and gave her a pamphlet about it. She was super excited. I know that the Lord works in mysterious ways, even through a little rain storm.

Something I was studying this week was in the Book of Mormon 3 Nephi chapter 11. It talks about Christ's visit to the people in the Americas. I can't help but think those people were the ancestors of the people I am now teaching. I am following the example of Christ and now serving the children of the people Christ taught. I am so grateful for my savior Jesus Christ and know that he is standing next to each of us at all times. He is there to raise us up when we fall and when life is difficult. when we feel like we cannot take another step , he will guide us through. I love you all so much! may the Lord bless your families!

love always!

-Sister Sender

No comments:

Post a Comment