Tuesday, January 21, 2014

December 23, 2013


Dear Family and friends! 

Everyone always says that Belém is one of the hottest missions in the world... well I learned an interesting fact this week. Belém actually has two seasons. Blazing sun and Blazing sun with down pouring rain. I am now entering the second season and it is crazy!! It rained all day yesterday and I think I took five showers. (People literally take showers in the rain here). During the day it rains and then gets super humid and then rains and gets even more humid. At night, it storms and rains until the streets are all flooded, it is so cool! Yesterday I was actually freezing cold in the rain (75 degrees and raining is freezing to me!!) I have never seen it rain so hard in my life. It is like someone literally turned on a showerhead for 2 hours or like during a snow storm when you can’t see the road in front of you. It is the same here, but with rain. I won’t have a snowy white Christmas, but I will for sure have a wet sunny Christmas. Almost the same thing right? It is most certainly an adventure. 

 

This week was full of adventures! We had a few funny moments too. One was while we were teaching a 19 year old boy (Flávio) and his sister (Raina). We were teaching about the law of Chasity and when I committed him to live the law his response was perfect. "Yeah duh! I am single!" The whole room started laughing and we were able to testify of the blessings this law brings. This gospel really does bring joy. 

 

We also had our annual Christmas conference with the mission president this week. We got to play soccer and volleyball and then have a gift exchange and spiritual message. I have to say that Brazilians know how to play soccer, but we Americans know our stuff too ;) (They were not so happy loosing). It was a riot! The Spiritual part of the conference was great too. President Scisci talked about joy and sharing the joy of the Christmas season. It is so true. Christmas is a time full of joy and excitement. We need to share the joy and spirit with those we love! Remember the true meaning of Christmas and remember to share the joy! This is my first Christmas away from home, and I am not going to lie and say it is easy, but I know that the spirit and love I can share here in Ananindeua is worth the sacrifice. I love my family and am so grateful for their love and support. I am so blessed to be a "Sender". As my dad once told me, "your name describes your purpose... you are a sender of the true restored message of Jesus Christ". I love you all and hope you all have a marvelous white Christmas! MERRY CHRISTMAS! FELIZ NATAL!! 

Love Always,

<3 Sister Sender 

 

PS: HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICOLE!!! 3 years old today :) 

PS: I can’t wait to Skype you all on Wednesday :)

PS: cultural thing: here Christmas Eve is more important and bigger than Christmas day. Everyone plans huge parties and stays up all night celebrating on the 24th.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment